Friday, August 11, 2006

Lord of the Rings

I watched the Lord of the Rings - The Two towers on HBO a few weeks ago. I liked it so much that I got DVDs of the other two in the trilogy. In fact, The Two Towers is the second part. After watching the first, The Fellowship of the Ring, the picture cleared. And the grand finale was The Return of the King. Great locations (Australia and New Zealand). Great special effects, that are typical of fantasy movies. And great storyline.

The feel of the movie is dark and gloomy, strange creatures, marshes filled with dead, dead kings riding dragons, and yet it does not feel kiddish. It is not a horror movie kind of stuff either.

The first time I watched the movie, the Two Towers, I could not understand it. And the looks and hisses of that Gollum, talking to "his Precious", wasnt so appealing for me to continue watching the movie. Probably, we were watching it on a computer at our hostel room, and there were a dozen guys, boozing and smoking. And of course talking and laughing. These are kind of movies that need to be watched silently to understand the story. Another friend told me to watch the Fellowship first, else I wont follow the Two Towers. And so, on the weekend spread from Friday to Sunday, I watched all the three in sequence. It got me hooked. :)

Also watch out for the character Arwen Evenstar. Played by Liv Tyler. She looks heavenly. Lovely. Soft voice.

The meeting of Aragorn and Arwen on the bridge in Rivendell.

O môr henion i dhû:
Ely siriar, êl síla.
Ai! Aníron Undómiel.
Tiro! Êl eria e môr.
I 'lîr en êl luitha 'úren.
Ai! Aníron...

(From darkness I understand the night:
dreams flow, a star shines.
Ah! I desire Evenstar.
Look! A star rises out of the darkness.
The song of the star enchants my heart.
Ah! I desire…)

Arwen: Renech i lu i erui govannem? (Do you remember when we first met?)

Aragorn: Nauthannem i ned ol reniannen. (I thought I had strayed into a dream.)

Arwen: Gwenwin in enninath...U-arnech in naeth i si celich. (Long years have passed…You do not have the cares you carry now.)

Arwen: Renech i beth i pennen? (Do you remember what I told you?)

Aragorn: You said you'd bind yourself to me. Forsaking the immortal life of your people.

Arwen: And to that I hold. I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone.

[Arwen gives Aragorn the Evenstar]

Arwen: I choose a mortal life.

Aragorn: You cannot give me this!

Arwen: It is mine to give to whom I will...like my heart.



--- Updated

1 Comments:

Blogger n said...

if u enjoyed the movies, read the book also. Torkein is a master storyteller, among the best. We has woven a fantasy that is rich in detail and nuances, unparalleled by any other write (in my opinion). as u observed correctly, this is a world of make believe with unknown creatures and strange lands, but there is nothing fairytale or childish about it.
go, read it. tell me afterwards, what u think of it.

August 17, 2006 8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home